This article, published in Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, aims to debunk five myths about the SMP and provide suggestions to help teachers align instruction to the SMP in ways that are productive, manageable, and true to the intentions of CCSSM.
- Myth 1: Every lesson must incorporate all eight SMP.
- Myth 2: Students can engage in only one mathematical practice as they work on a task.
- Myth 3: The mathematics task alone determines which mathematical practices students will use.
- Myth 4: Only specialized tasks can be used to develop mathematical practice.
- Myth 5: Mathematical practice can be taught separately from mathematical content.