EDC collaborated with WGBH and SRI International to produce a series of apps—Early Math with Gracie and Friends—that help preschool teachers engage young children in fun, developmentally appropriate explorations of key mathematics concepts. The apps are now available in the Apple App Store on iTunes: Birthday Café, City Skate, Treasure Bubbles, Lemonade Stand, Jungle Gym, Park Play, and Breakfast Time. The games were part of a four-year, National Science Foundation (NSF)-funded project, Next Generation Preschool Math (NGPM), in which EDC Principal Investigator Ashley Lewis Presser and colleagues at SRI International and WGBH conducted the first substantive investigation of the value that mobile tablet technology can offer in early learning environments. The NGPM team chose to focus the games on mathematics because, as Lewis Presser notes, “Studies have shown that early mathematics learning plays a powerful role in all young children’s school readiness and success, and can help close opportunity gaps for young children from low-income families.” The NGPM team also published a curriculum that integrates the Gracie & Friends apps with 46 original hands-on and traditional classroom activities and a digital Teacher's Guide.
- Read a related blog post by the NGPM team: “Early Math Gaming Effort Offers Seven Tips to Producing Research-Based Games.”
- View a post by Lewis Presser and Courtney Blackwell: “Positive Integration of Media for Children.”
- Explore WGBH’s blog and SRI International’s webpage about NGPM.
- Learn about the NSF-funded Next Generation Preschool Science project.
- Find out more about all of our Early Learning work.
Last Updated: September 2016